Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Chunky Guacomole With Baked Pita Chips

I used to hate Guacomole when I first tasted it in a mexican restaurant and stayed away from avacado for quite some time. But then a few years back I was introduced to this chunky version of the dip by a dear friend S (back in Belgium) in her son's birthday party. After numerous assurances from her I gave this a try and absolutely fell in love with the dip and also with the wonder fruit - avacado ever since.
Thanks to S ,nowadays I make it atleast once a week  for snack as my son loves this 'green' dip (as named by him) a lot. The tastes of the Guacomale is at its best when the Avacado is ripe, moist and in season. Never use the blackened or over ripe ones as it tends to spoil the taste.

Serve with some baked pita bread for healthy version or with some store bought tortilla chips for quite an indulgence :)


Ingredients:
1 ripe and firm Avacado
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped tomatoes(without pulp)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 small green chilli finely chopped.
salt ,coarse black pepper and fresh lemon juice to taste

Method
Cut and scoop the pulp of the avacado int a bowl.
Cut the tomato into half, and sqeeze the pulp out of it, discard the pulp and add the chopped tomato to the bowl.
Now add the onions, chilli, salt, coarse black pepper and chopped cilantro
Give it a mix with a fork, gently breaking down the avacado pieces..

To make the pita chips.
Cut open the pita bread into two discs. (I used it whole here)
Cut into triangles and bake in 400F preheated oven for about 10 -15 mins, or until it becomes crisp.


Notes:
If you like the smoother version, mash the avacado well with a fork to a smooth texture and then add all the other ingredients.
Always use freshly ground coarse black pepper as it gives much better flavour to the dish.



15 comments:

Mahi said...

Healthy snack! We buy this pita chips in Trader Joes..they sell yummy varieties! ;)

I can have this Guacomole in Chipotle, but haven't tried at home!

Faseela said...

wow....yummy guacomole......yum

Kanan said...

this look awesome. I also hate guacomole. I thin i should try your version. might be i ll like this as you

Suja Manoj said...

Wonderful and healthy snack..love the presentation..bookmarked.

Unknown said...

my all time favourite snack..yummy!

Cham said...

I like avocado- this one would be a good dip!

Spicy-Aroma said...

yummy and healthy snack..loved it!!
Spicy-Aroma

Hema said...

Yummy and healthy snack..

chef and her kitchen said...

yumm yumm..love 2 eat this as a meal

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

Healthy dip, my daughter made this one for dip for me few days back.

Unknown said...

thanks for hopping over to my blog!....guacamole is my fav....I make it often...this looks yum with the pita chips!

Sobha Shyam said...

i love Guacamole...pass me that platter..so yummy n tempting :)

Join the Just "4" Fun event :)

Shylaja said...

Looks delicious and healthy

Shobha Kamath said...

Nice presentation! Healthy and tasty too.

hemalata said...

Yummy n healthy guacomole, looks so delicious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails